Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Story Six from "A Symphony of Short Stories"


Story Six: OVER RIVER KWAI

In January 2000, my marriage of 12 years had finally collapsed and died a painful death.

All the cherished illusions about love and marriage that I used to believe in withered into ashes, along with the identity of who I used to be. My only consolation was that we did not have any children - one less person to be caught in the web of our despair. Or rather, my despair.

When being the “faithful wives” are no longer enough for our husbands, it does support the idea that all women carry a ‘use by date’. And there's nothing that we could do about it. But the men - they could easily remedy the situation by replacing us with a younger and more eager version. With all of these and more, how could one expect a woman to regain her self-esteem, much less the remains of herself?

However, I have to admit – I was luckier than most women. I was still young and I could choose. And choose - I courageously did.

I didn’t have to remain in a marriage that was held together by farce and convenience. I did not have to pretend that we were still a couple. I had the means and financial independence to change my disposition. Above all, I did not have any children to think of. I understand that a lot of women remained in their unfulfilled marriages for the sake of their children. But I had the means to break free. So, in that respect, I was very fortunate.

In October of that same year, after the ink on the divorce papers had dried out, and the court had granted my freedom, I decided to give myself a ‘divorce present’. I felt that going away was a perfect start to my healing.



I have always adored trains but had no opportunity to travel in one. Most of the time, I would fly in order to save time. So, I decided to book myself on the Eastern and Orient Express – from Singapore to Bangkok. It was a 3 days/2 nights journey. It would be slow, scenic and quaint. And to truly reward myself, I took the highest category of cabins – The Presidential Cabin. It had more space and a complimentary bar (of which I did put to good use).

All the passengers would normally board this classic train at the Woodlands train station in Singapore. However, I was somehow caught up in Malaysia at that time because I had to finalize the sale of a house that my ex-husband and I used to own in Kuala Lumpur. So, E&O was kind enough to allow me to board the train from Kuala Lumpur. They were very generous in providing me with some additional benefits. I was allowed to relax in style at the Ritz Carlton lounge in Kuala Lumpur, while waiting for the train to arrive from Singapore. I was served refreshments and snacks with a scented cold towel. When it was time to leave the Ritz and go over to the Moorish Kuala Lumpur train station, a gleaming black Mercedes Benz came to pick me up. I guess, having reserved the Presidential Cabin had its perks. (By the way, there were only two Presidential Cabins in the entire train.)

I remembered how my heart fluttered upon seeing the train for the first time. And against the backdrop of the Kuala Lumpur heritage Moorish styled train station, it was truly a “Kodak moment”. The Eastern & Orient train was truly a sight to behold. The signature gold and green colours that cloaked the whole train was just magnificent. If nothing else, it projected a nostalgic glimpse into the golden age of travelling.



Agatha Christie once wrote, “Trains are wonderful.... To travel by train is to see nature and human beings, towns and churches and rivers…in fact, to see life”.

I couldn’t agree more. And I truly recommend it to everyone, if you have not tried it.



THIS IS AN EXCERPT FROM THE BOOK: "LIFE IS A JOURNEY - A SYMPHONY OF SHORT STORIES".

THE BOOK IS BEING PUBLISHED AS WE SPEAK, BOTH IN HARD COPY AND E-FORMAT. 

HOPE YOU LIKE IT ENOUGH TO BUY THE BOOK WHEN IT IS OUT. I WILL UPDATE AGAIN. 

THANKS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://shirleymaya.com