Sunday, May 2, 2010

DAY 37: The Every-Day Heroes Who Give More Than They Receive

DAY THIRTY-SEVEN: Monday, 26th April 2010


Goodness, where did my time go?

One friend said that I do not need to push myself so hard and that it is ok.

Seriously though, if I do not push myself, who would?

And then where would I be? Back to the same sloth-loving decadent self?

No, I do not wish to go back to that person.

That person does not live here anymore.

I really have to keep pushing myself.

I really have to, I need to.

These days, I find myself less and less bothered by difficulty, or anything which I would normally term as difficult.

This, I feel, is a good sign. For me, at least.



Now, let me share my DAY THIRTY-SEVEN :-

No. Of Prostrations: 50

Daily Sadhanas: Check and Done with Death Meditation and Dzambala Mantra.

Physical Exercise: I say it again, no time to even take a piss, where to find time for exercise?!

Daily Reflection from "IF NOT NOW, WHEN?" – Here we go. I close my eyes and I picked out page 045.


Quote from Page 045 for Day Thirty-Seven:

“If we are going to pray for and benefit the world, we should start with the people we live with. We don’t talk about world peace, we talk about the people we live with.


There are people who have pursued helping others and they are much happier than people who pursue helping themselves.”



Personal Thoughts and Feelings:

Those who work for others, be it an NGO or spirituality – any organization that is built on a cause to serving others’ welfare, is by far the most challenging. I say that because they work very long hours that seem to have no end. When you are dealing with the well being and dire needs of humanity, there is no such thing as “open from 9 to 5 only”. You are basically open for business, 24/7 and then some!

There is no such thing as I will deal with you when I feel like it, or when I am in a better mood. There is no such thing as I will see you later, like after my lunch break or coffee break. There is simply no such thing as your needs preceding theirs.

In this social or community work, there are no special perks and benefits. No country club memberships, no drivers or car provided as part of your package, and you can definitely forget about any “entertainment allowances”. In truth, people who work with helping other people need more support and help than anyone else.

And no, they are not losers.

And it is not because they can’t get a better paying job somewhere so they resort to this kind of work.

They have chosen to do something much more with their lives and time on earth.

This work that they do could possibly change hundreds of lives, if not millions. Because it is not just about this generation. It is for the many generations to come.

These are our living heroes. They show us what it means to be the best of humankind.

And I bet, at their time of death, they will have no regrets and bitterness, because their lives were well lived, and well utilised in every way. This is more than I can say for the rest of us still grasping away at every desire and chasing “paper notes”.

As it is, I am still trying to learn how to be a lot nicer and more considerate to those close and nearest to me. Sometimes, I fail very badly.

Like I said at the beginning of the post, I really have to push myself and I need to push myself to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://shirleymaya.com